The Play Doh brand is proud to celebrate over 50 years of colorful, creative play. Play Doh first introduced in 1956, Play Doh modeling compound has become a classic and beloved toy, used in homes and schools around the world by children of all ages. In 1956 Play Doh Brand modeling compound, a non-toxic reusable modeling compound developed by Rainbow Crafts in Cincinnati, Play Doh was demonstrated and sold in the toy department of Woodward & Lothrop Department Store in Washington, D.C. Play Doh compound is available only in one color and size, an off-white, 1.5-pound can. One year earlier, Play Doh was introduced to schools, kindergartens and nursery schools. In 1991 Play Doh compound joins Hasbro, Inc. as part of the Playskool line, when Hasbro purchased the Tonka Corporation and its Kenner and Parker Brothers divisions.